I used to be very frustrated about my vibrato because no one had told me how to practice it. I knew how to do it, I just couldn’t do it and remain in control at the same time. Then I came up with this simple exercise and the challenge literally disappeared over the following weeks.
Vibrato consists of two elements: Pith change and speed. So if you want to control your vibrato you must control how much the pitch changes and how fast or slow it oscillates. You do this by using a metronome and practice it like any other thing. Watch me demonstrate the exercises in the video.
- Practice bending a semitone
- Use a metronome and increase tempo gradually
- Make sure you practice with each left hand finger
- Practice bending half a semitone
- Practice vibrating eighth notes, sixteenth notes and triplets.